Businesses and corporations
A lot of businesses have already learnt that economic success is inextricably linked to environmental and social performance. Many companies are paying increasing attention to ‘corporate social responsibility’ (CSR), rx which means integrating social and environmental concerns in their business operations on a voluntary basis. In the context of their CSR, treatment businesses can play a positive role in biodiversity conservation through land stewardship.
CSR may also lead to corporate stewardship, a variant of land stewardship that involves companies that own extensions of land (agriculture, forestry, etc.), which they can sell or donate to stewardship organisations, hand over management through land stewardship agreements, or even manage themselves for biodiversity conservation. Stewardship may offer interesting solutions to other major resource management companies. Similarly, agreements between local landowners and tourism companies often result in land being managed for conservation and ecotourism activities (such as wildlife watching).
Recommendations to be considered by businesses and corporations (as sponsors and landowners)
- Analyse the impact of your business activities on biodiversity. Search for specialists at land stewardship organisations that can help you.
- Consider land stewardship as an approach that can help you deliver or implement your Corporate Eco Social Responsibility objectives. Benefit from the experience of existing land stewardship organisations through partnering.
- Contact land stewardship organisations in your area and get to know their work. Learn the needs of each other in relation to biodiversity. Look for opportunities with an open mind (marketing and promotion, volunteering, client prizes and experiences, fundraising campaigns, labelled quality products, expertise sharing, etc.).
- Partner and contribute with land stewardship and related organisations and networks
- Organise volunteer stewardship days with your employees, clients and/or other stakeholders.
- Promote corporate stewardship on company lands.